Friday, February 22, 2019

University of the People, “Tuition Free Higher Education at Last”


“In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” ~ Eric Hoffer

Before you start arguing with me, go find out for yourself at http://uopeople.edu/groups/tuition-free-online-degree

I know that this sounds too good to be true! A tuition-free University education in this day and age? Well in a world where the loan sharks are trying to squeeze the last buck out of every Ben and Betty. It is no further from the truth. Believe me, there are Millennial organizations that are giving the hopeless of the world a renewed hope to be counted amongst the greatest of this century. The University of the People (UoPeople) today stands up higher, as the star of hope in the sky of opportunities for someone who thought higher education was beyond reach in this world replete with the majority poor spanning across continents. The UoPeople virtual campus was founded by Shai Reshef in 2009 to help students from all over the world who have been disadvantaged by time and money with an opportunity of a lifetime to gain access to Higher Education. 

I came across the University of the People through a friend with whom I had shared my desire to earn a Degree in Computer Science in 2010. Upon completing my online registration through which I shared my passion for computer science to the university through a short write up that I was required to submit, the university offered me a full scholarship through which I have since earned two degrees, a Bachelor of Science degree and an Associate of Science degree all in Computer Science for which I am so very grateful to the University board and faculty. The university is a fully accredited online school for higher education by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), an authorized accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. 


My experience in the virtual campus of the University of the People has been breathtaking with access to a state of the art virtual computer lab where I had the honor to create computer models such as mobile devices, central processing units, graphical designs and artificial intelligence models from the comfort of my home. One of the drawbacks of modern education is the tendency to teach the student what to think instead of how to think. The UoPeople has implemented a unique learning experience with a methodology embedded with a major component that helps every student acquire skills on how to think and apply knowledge in practical life. Above all the virtual campus offered me the democratic right and flexibility of choosing the number of courses to take and the time to be in class, which helped me to balance my work, family and study time. One of the courses I loved most was Artificial Intelligence

The UoPeople education has inspired me to pursue my childhood passion in cartoon animation and graphics, an agenda that I intend to use to help vulnerable teens in my country to learn as a life skill in this technological world.


Who am I? My name is Bright a Computer Science graduating student of the University of the People; I come from a country in Southern Africa called Zambia with a name derived from the great Zambezi River, which flows through six countries. A country, which hosts one of the Seven Wonders of the World, the Mighty Victoria Falls that spreads across the Zambezi River like a butterfly, it’s a breathtaking wonder to see. A Country that boasts of 17 waterfalls, 20 National Parks and 34 Game management areas replete with world life sightings like no other place that includes the Big Five Cats. It is a country with Great Investment opportunities. Your eyes will thank you for visiting Zambia the real Africa.   

No comments:

In Their eyes We Looked like Grasshoppers

  WE are so Great as Africans no wonder someone has spent all their energies to convince us that we are nothing. Unfortunately, we have beli...